Versatile Researcher and Writer of print and digital articles, reports, and correspondence. Excellent research, writing, editing, listening, and interviewing skills. Adept at tailoring information for a range of audiences and communication platforms. Tactful in politically sensitive situations; maintains confidentiality as needed. Works quickly; remains calm.
INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR 2012–present
Write professional profiles and news items for university websites and magazines; research and write commissioned books for education market; research and write curricular materials in literature and social sciences.
• Interviewed engineers, writers, managers, health care providers, and entrepreneurs and attended academic talks and presentations for articles for Radcliffe Magazine, MIT’s System Design and Management (SDM) program site, and Wellesley Magazine.
• Recently published or forthcoming books: United States: The Culture, Crabtree Publishing, 2013; from Rosen Publishing: Frederick Douglass and the Abolitionist Movement, 2013; Crispus Attucks and the Boston Massacre, 2013; Perseus and Medusa, 2014; The Voyage of Odysseus, 2014.
• Wrote 32-page history of Tennessee insert for America: History of Our Nation, Pearson, 2015; wrote web-based literature lessons for American Voices, StudySync, 2013.
HOUGHTON MIFFLIN HARCOURT, Boston, MA 2002–2011
Supervising Editor (2004-2011)
• Researched, fact-checked, wrote, and edited materials for students and teachers
• Developed rationales for marketing and decision-makers in product development
• Managed freelancers, vendors, and editors; collaborated with in-house production, design, and photo research
• Drafted correspondence on behalf of the Executive Editor
Senior Editor ( 2002-2004)
• Worked with academics to create accurate and engaging history of the state of California and accompanying marketing and teacher support materials
• Managed work of editors, freelancers, and vendors
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
“Anson Chan: Charting A Course Toward Democracy,” Radcliffe Institute site, 02/26/2013
“Keeping It New,” Radcliffe Magazine, Winter 2013
“What If,” Radcliffe Magazine, Summer 2012
“SDMs Join First MEMPC Simulation Competition,” MIT System Design and Management site, 04/26/2013
“Cultivating Egypt’s Social Entrepreneurs,” MIT System Design and Management site, 11/30/2012
“The Center of the Rebellion,” The Common OnLine, 03/08/2012
“The DMZ Sanctuary,” The Common OnLine, 09/28/2011
ADDITIONAL RELATED EXPERIENCE
CAMBRIDGE FRIENDS SCHOOL, Cambridge, MA
Presiding Clerk, Board of Trustees (2007–2008)
• Maintained confidentiality while working closely with head and other administrators and trustees to restructure school
• Won stakeholder buy-in through persuasive memos and planned public events to present decisions of the board and school head
• Crafted letters and memos to reflect the voice and style of the head of the school as needed
Executive Committee, Board of Trustees (2003–2007)
H.W. WILSON, Cambridge, MA
Readers’ Guide to Periodicals
• Supervised the work of abstractors; trained most productive team of writers
• Checked facts and accuracy
• Wrote 150-word abstracts of articles in fields of science, business, technology, economics, and politics
• Met or exceeded quota of at least 20 abstracts per day
M.F.A., Creative Writing, University of Massachusetts at Amherst
B.A., Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)
Microsoft Office Professional Adobe InCopy/InDesign Adobe Acrobat Professional